Saturday, November 8, 2008

Politics

I will not talk about politics very much on my blog, nor do I talk about them very much in general. Here's the line I live by when asked about politics: I serve a King in Jesus who was not up election on November 4th, and whoever is in the White House has far less affect on me than the One who leads my life every day.

I think politics CAN be fun to chat about with: 1) folks who are really passionate and are easy to get riled up, or 2) with folks who have a healthy perspective of where politics fit into every day life (which, let's be honest, no one really knows where they fit in every day life..). Anyway, with that little preface out of the way..

It seems like folks who have a candidate that wins get arrogant to the point where they, well, check out on personal responsibility because that's what they elected their candidate and party for. And folks who have a candidate who loses turn bitter and take a pity party approach to where they say they can't do anything about it, can't do much good because their candidate or political party is not in control (A quick side note: I am speaking generally; I KNOW not everyone fits into these two incredibly broad categories..) I don't like either of these ways of thinking. Can't you do the good you know you ought (for the Christ followers, that's James 4:17) whether your candidate won or lost?

This could look very different for everyone: I have a good buddy John who is part of the office of a republican Lt. Governor and while he's bummed that Obama won, he 's not checking out of life, realizing he still has work to do, good that he's still called to take part in (Ephesians 2:10). If you're fearful that pro choice legislation will increase, voluteer with Crisis Pregnancy Center AND get intouch with your state government officials, your congressperson, and your senator. Whatever you do, do something (James 1:22), and please don't be limited because a political candidate won or lost.

If you're candidate won, congrats, but don't check out! Just because you anticipate change, don't let someone in Washington do all the work - serve, serve, serve, not because it's legislated, but because you're supposed to (John 13:15). I guess my main encouragement is to make sure you know who (or, hopefully, Who) is motivating you to action.. And don't let yourself check out because you're guy lost OR won.

Anyway.. Florida had a nice, big 'ol win over Vandy! Vandy always plays us tough, so putting them away early is a bonus. Tebow has got to be back in the top 3 or 4 for the Heisman - he's putting up stupid numbers again, he's leading the team and making everyone else better, and he's put us back in the SEC title game.

As for the BSC title game: Florida is in if we win out, including over Alabama in the SEC title (doesn't that sound amazing? That's an old school matchup that I love, by the way). No way you can keep Florida (who will be number 3 in the BSC on Monday) out if we win the last three and then beach 'Bama (who should be #1 going into the SEC). Still though.. we should NOT have lost to Ole Miss. I'm still mad about that.

Church time tomorrow - I LOVE my church, have I mentioned that lately?

Off to bed, stay awesome

Much love
Wayne
Colossians 4:2

1 comment: