Thursday, November 6, 2008

Reasonable expectations

So I'm back at the blogging thing. Not sure the inspiration, but I put it on my phone alarm to remind me to update regularly, so I'm going to. I'm going to blog about a whole bunch of things, but the main three: 1) Jesus, 2) sports, 3) music. If you're interested in any or all of those, then I would love for you to give me feedback from time to time. There is always a danger that I will spend too much time on sports, but I will do my best to balance it well.

But let's start with something I had the privilege of preaching about with Hutch a few weeks back (you can hear our sermon here): the importance having a relationship - a real, dynamic, messy, connected, growing, PERSONAL relationship - with God through His son Jesus Christ, and how that relationship will (or should..) lead to what John records as fruit in chapter 15, and what James calls works, deeds, actions in, well, his whole book.

I wonder if maybe I too often get hung up on getting ready for something? Getting ready for taking the time to mentor or challenge one of my amazing middle or high school students but never actually doing it.. praying for the chance to share the message of hope, salvation, freedom to someone who desperately needs it, but not acting on the every day opportunities He so readily offers.. I'm not the Holy Spirit, so my words cannot and should not convict you. John 15:1-17, John 17:3, Matthew 28:16-20, Ephesians 2:10, James 1:22, James 2:15-17, James 4:17 - that's what should be convicting. Let's be doers of the Word. I will not tell you what that looks like for you - but I know Scripture is clear with those verses I just jotted down, so if you need some suggestions, I'd start there.

And sports: MY Atlanta Hawks are 3-0! I can't even believe it.. Who has body snatched Josh Smith and put someone who can shoot an 18- 20- 24- footer in his place? Flip Murray making legitimate contributions? Beating the Hornets on the road? Nobody pinch them please.

And yes, the BCS is screwed up, but I'm the loudest, most obnoxious Gator fan in the world, and here's the deal: WE SHOULD HAVE BEATEN OLE MISS. We beat Ole Miss, none of this playoff biz is even on Gainesville's radar (or LA's or Norman's or Austin's or Happy Valley's). So yea, I think an 8-team playoff would be great, but don't blame the BCS if we (the Gators) don't make it.

OK, great job reading this far, I'd love to hear your thoughts

Much love
Wayne
Colossians 4:2

1 comment:

Unknown said...

you are the man. I'll be reading dog