Monday, March 10, 2008

Student Ministry

I think I am constantly need of reminding that I am not the Holy Spirit.  My small group is going through the John Ortberg book God is Closer Than You Think and we were discussing John 16 where Jesus says that it will be for our good that He go to the Father so that we would have the Holy Spirit.  Verse 8 says the Holy Spirit will convict the world of their sins which is incredibly freeing - God is drawing people to Himself!  I was talking with Josh from the group about how frustrating student ministry can be when we (he is on Young Life staff) try and convict students instead of the letting the Holy Spirit do his work.

By the way, the book is pretty good too.  I bought the new Shane Claiborne book Jesus for President.  I'm ready to read it but I need to finish two other books first. 

I'm glad we have the Holy Spirit.

 

No comments: